Wednesday 29 October 2014

R.I.P Ipod Classic

I heard today that Apple are pulling the plug on the Ipod Classic.

It maybe due to the fact that I'm listening to Coldplay right now, but its kinda sad that this revolutionary device has come to an end. I remember when my brother came home with one of the first Ipods.

You had to put your CD collection on track by track, whilst trying to find the track listings in the CD booklet, so is not to have a hundred "Track 1". This was only 10 years ago but for someone who grew up in the 2000's it feels a life time ago.

In around 2003 or so. I got given a £100 128MB Philips MP3 player. It had no screen, used AA batteries, and had two buttons: one to pause, one to skip tracks. You were not able to go back, you had to go through your songs again to listen to the same song.

Going into school with this glorious 128MB MP3 player, with roughly about 10 tracks enabled you to be an absolute bad ass. Going into Argos to flick through the pages, not for Action Man this time. No you were looking for Creative brand MP3's.



The Christmas of 2005 all I wanted was a Ipod Nano. They had just been released, and it was top of all teenagers Christmas lists. When Christmas came around I didn't get this illusive gift, and in shear dickish move only a teenager would make I told my mum, "I'm upset I didn't get a Ipod". It wasn't until a couple years later that my brother told me I ruined my mums Christmas that year, that I fully became aware of how dickish I was. If your reading this mum I'm truly truly sorry for that moment.

Every Generation has listened to music in completely different format. My parents would get Vinyls and cassette. My elder brothers would buy CD's. But I would listen to music on tiny boxes of memory. What about today's generation? maybe those who are not much younger than me, will remember the infancy of digitally stored music ? Will they know the struggle of only picking 12 songs to take on holiday?

I write this whilst listening to Spotify, its moved on from coldplay to Dylan. Spotify is possibly the most current form of listening to music. No need to have GB's of space, all you need is the Internet, allowing you to listen to more song than you imagine. So will teenagers of the next couple of years remember the Ipod or will think its just an app on their Iphones.


P.S The fun of scrolling through you songs will never get old.

No comments:

Post a Comment