Saturday 7 February 2015

Do you take Amex?

So yesterday I did my first shift in my university students union bar. It was very similar to other bars I have worked in. You may think that students unions are just Jaeger bombs and cheap larger, you would be correct in that regards, but my university isn't a normal university. University of Buckingham is the UK's only respected private university meaning that it does not take any money from the government. Its main feature is that you can do a under grad degree in 2 years.

Also it can set its fees at a level higher than most universities, for example our recent addition of a Medical degree has created a group of students who are willing to pay for the most expensive degree in the world. A lot of my fellow students are from all over the world, with very wealthy connections.

So back to my first shift there was a group of students who were working up our bars champagne list. This isn't the first time the bar has had this so they have been prepared for a while. We have the house bottle which is £25, then we have a bottle of Crystal, made famous by celebrities which is worth £215 per bottle. So just remember this is in a students union.

I have worked in classy Cheshire country pubs which are littered with footballers and wanna be models and then the most expensive bottle of wine was £50 and no one ever brought it. That's because Cheshire is built up on the idea of wealth, unless people are listening they would happily buy the best brand just to seem wealthy.

My fellow students who are able to afford £215 bottles of champagne are wealthy. Their families have made there fortune and want to spend it, and so they should. If they want to buy over priced wine then do so. But does a higher price tag mean better quality?

When it comes to clothes I would have to agree a Barbour coat will last you a lot longer than a Primark coat. But with food and drink does it genuinely taste better. Many of my friends who know me well will call me a food snob which isn't true. I appreciate good food and dislike food that has cut corners. Pubs like weatherspoons serve a purpose they make cheap quick food, but its all microwaved and tasteless. But you really don't need to go to Michelin star restaurants  or spend couple hundred on a meal.

A tiny pub in Oxfordshire called the Fleur de Fils which only ever has 5 things on its menu and will sell dishes which would normally cost £30 a plate costs £8. Its brilliant and the wine list is incredible. But in Cheshire I could pay £30 and get a meal which is equivalent to that of weatherspoons.

I suppose  what I'm trying to say is don't judge a book by its cover. But also money doesn't prove something's value its only proves that you want it to have value.

No comments:

Post a Comment