Wednesday 11 February 2015

We have a great show for you tonight...

As I woke this morning, I checked my phone as most people do, I checked facebook, snapchat, and finally twitter. I normally see what was trending, Balotelli, Harry Kane and TheDailyShow. I thought ooo something fun must have happened on The Daily Show, hopefully they have made fun of the recent Koch brothers fundraiser.

But to my shock I found that Jon Stewart is to step down. Stewart is possibly the biggest reason I got interested in Politics, which is now why I am doing a political degree. Jon Stewart is a satirist, one of the greatest. Many have said that he is the voice of the young and intelligent holding the big boys of Washington to account through humour. 

There is no denying that Stewart is a left of centre in the American sense, he is a rational voice in a world dominated by fox news and Sarah Palin. He and his writing staff have used humour to show the stupidity of the American Political system. He has used his position to hold all types of politicians to account. Also people who hold political power, with him systematically making Glenn Beck look like a deranged jackass!

 
I remember staying up late years ago flicking through the TV channels and I happened to stop on More4, channel 4s higher quality channel. I saw the daily show, I had heard about it in the past from trips to the States but I had never really watched it. It had only just started, so I watched it. His energy for his work is the first thing that catches your eye. The pointless piece of paper and pen his desk. Then as you start to watch you see and hear that behind his sharp humour is a smart well read and reasoned man. 

Using humour in questioning politics is a very clever and efficient way of making politicians look stupid. Because most politicians don't know they are being laughed at. If they are in a room where loads of people are laughing they will laugh along because they want to be seen as they know what is going on. They can't be funny unless their script writer tells them. 

And if people are shown to be stupid on his show they always say he is a comedian, and try and laugh it off. But it only does one things re-inflate their ego.
I wish I could write an amazing piece on how much Jon Stewart inspired me but my way with words is nothing in comparison to his. I hope that him leaving is him making a run for politics but I doubt it, he isn't an idiot. Than you Jon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment